ROTARY CLUB OF KYOTO-EAST
Rotary Club of Kyoto-East was organized on May 21,1956, as the one hundred and eightieth club in Japan. Its territory mainly covers an area between Higashiyama and the Kamo River from east to west, and between Gojo-zaka and Kitayama Street from south to north.
The territory represents typical Kyoto with abundant artistic and well as cultural atmosphere and tradition. Many of the major renowned shrines and temples of Kyoto such as Heian Shrine, Yasaka Shrine, Kiyomizu Temple, Chion-in Temple, Honen-in Temple, and Silver Pavilion, are located here. In addition, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto Kaikan, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Traditional Industry, Kyoto University and other institutions, Gion-machi, Minamiza Theatre are also sited in the area.
The Club has a membership of about one hundred including many professors and artists, which also reflects its regional characteristics.
This banner symbolizing the great vermilion Torii of the Heian Shrine was designed by the late Mr, Yaichi Kusube, a prominent ceramist and member of this club. Being a member of the Japan Academy of Arts, he was honored the Order of the Cultural Merits and awarded as a person of the Cultural Merits as well.